Monday, April 11, 2011

Flutterby Butterflies

One of my favorite items to stitch is a butterfly.  I grew up in a town named after butterflies, there are butterflies painted on our water tower, and my high school mascot was the monarch.  Maybe there is a connection!




This butterfly measures almost 5" wide and 5" tall with wings spreading over several patches of fabric.  In my latest project, I have experimented with all different sizes of motifs.  It is outlined with peacock iridescent beads.  I stitched his body and wing accents in black floss and metallic threads.






These are my very first embroidered butterflies.  They cheerfully embellish the pink vintage velvet in yellow and black pearl cotton.




My first and second butterflies can be found in "My Sampler".  This little guy is confined to his denim patch.  I like that the beaded butterfly can spread his wings across the quilt.


 I love to use hand dyed silk ribbon.  The wings of this butterfly are made with silk ribbon.  I stitched on top of the ribbon to add detail and texture to the wings.


Sometimes, there is a butterfly in the pattern of the fabric as was the case with this piece of vintage silk.  It is featured on the side of a stuffed cat that I have been working on.



My hometown!  Go Monarchs!



     

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kristi:
    How pleasant to get your mail on Etsy! I rushed over to be a follower but someone beat me to it
    : (
    I have not blogged in over 10 months and I think it is time I get back to it : )
    Your embroidery on the crazy quilt is beautiful!!!
    Take care and I will be back.
    Peace
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! thanks for letting me know about your new blog-I love your work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristi,
    Your quilt work is amazing! I so enjoyed visiting your blog, and agree with " a Bohemian Market", I need to get back to blogging! lol.. I've been ridiculously absent on mine for wayyyy too long! Thanks so much for writing, it's wonderful to meet new people.

    Happy stitching Kristi!
    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing your blog with me-it's beautiful!
    JolieEnRoseVintage

    ReplyDelete