Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Hunt

     Crazy quilting is the perfect combination of collecting, creativity, shopping, and friends.  One of my favorite aspects of crazy quilting is "the hunt".  By this I mean, the gathering of fabric, thread, jewels, beads, buttons, trim, and whimsy to incorporate into a quilt.  Not only do I enjoy visiting fabric shops all over the nation, but I also get to explore antique malls, flea markets, and estate sales for unique embellishments. 
     On "the hunt", I am usually in the company of my daughter, Amy, and close friends.  A shriek rises from the sale when one of us finds a particularly prized item.  Stopping for lunch or pie to admire our treasure is a requirement on the quest. 


                                           I found this old piece of amazing gold work this weekend! 



     The hunt is not only for collecting objects to put in the quilt.  The hunt is also a quest for ideas and techniques.  This usually involves books.  I refer to my collection of ideas as "my research".  My research requires delightful detours through bookstores, museum gift shops, online vendors, art galleries, and libraries.  Buying more books becomes easily justified when it is labeled as research.  This also makes explaining purchases to my husband a lot simpler.

                                                  Handmade lace recently bought at an estate sale.





      I buy all kinds of books, new and used, for inspiration.  If the house was burning down, after saving family and pets, I might just save my two favorite books by Penny McMorris and Carole Samples.

2 comments:

  1. You found some amazing pieces! That lace is so intricate and beautiful! It is a work of art in itself!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    the lace is amazing as is the beautiful goldwork- congratulations that sure was a good Hunt
    love n hugs bear xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete