Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Getting Started - Beginning a Fabric Stash

I come from women who sew.  Women who sew save fabric, buttons, thread, and trim.  Although in the beginning, I wasn't a woman who sewed, I did have a few of their habits.  I had a sewing machine, and I had a stash of fabric - my clothes.  Back in the 80's, my teacher-wardrobe consisted of wool skirts in bright plaids and solids. I had a huge box of these vintage 80's fashions in my basement waiting to be cut into pieces.  This was enough for me to get started.


Using wool, denim, and corduroy was perfect for my first quilt because the primitive look of the fabric matched the primitive level of my embroidery skills.  This view from "My Sampler" shows deep green corduroy from an old jumper.


As my skill level improved, my fabric selection improved.  I went hunting for more variety in fabrics like this blue velvet from a bridesmaid dress.

 
Soon, friends and family started bringing me pieces of their fabric.  The bright red velvet in this block is from a Christmas dress my cousin made for her daughter.


My Aunt Irene gave me a piece from her wedding dress.  It has a prominent spot in "My Quilt that Glows".


Minnie is a cherished piece of fabric found in my Grandma's stash.  So, my point is...if I can do this so can you!  All you need is a sewing machine and a box of old clothes!

3 comments:

  1. Wowsers! Kristi, you have TALENT and a bold, unique style!! I can’t wait to see more pictures of your work!!! Did you go to the CQ Adventure in Connecticut last week??? Do you belong to CQI (Crazy Quilting International)? When did you start (and finish) your “CQ that Glows”?? Big hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just beginning to break out of my cocoon, but that is a blog for another time. I am not a member of anything. I work alone at home with lots and lots of books for inspiration. I finished my first crazy quilt in 2000. I finished the quilt that glows in 2003. There have been many projects in-between. I have been reading about your 2012 project. I might have a large project done. My work has only been out of my house twice. Once was at my church, and the other was a quilt show in the Atlanta area. I've only been in this one show, but I won Viewer's Choice. I'm challenging myself to get out and to share!

    ReplyDelete