Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Little Light and Wisdom

     With most skills, as you become more experienced, you get faster and more efficient.  This was not the case for me with crazy quilting.  As my experience increased, my pace decreased.  I consider this a gift.  When you find something that you truly enjoy, slow down to appreciate the experience.  It is a gift.  I was thinking about this when I stitched this section of my quilt that glows.  You will see a candle whose flame contains the words of a Sunday school song, "This Little Light of Mine."

   I'm  working now to share some of this light.  I cherish the time I get to spend with my thread, fabric, and sewing machine.  Spots where fabric, thread, texture, color, and line all come together beautifully I call "perfect moments".  When I look back over my quilt, I can go back to these perfect moments.  Since I rarely "reverse sew", or rip out mistakes, some of my moments are not as successful as others.  I can look back over these times as well.  Sometimes, when I look back at these spots, I think that they don't look so bad after all.
    In a world of schedules, responsibilities, plans, goals, and bills, crazy quilting offers an escape with no plan, scheme, or timetable.  Winston Churchill said, "Writing is an adventure."  I think that crazy quilting in an adventure and a gift.



"Glow" Vital Statistics: 
     Finished dimensions are 70" x 70" with 8" borders.  The borders start with black satin piping.  Next, there is a strip of gold embossed cotton with a quote from St. Francis of Assisi all around the quilt done in red floss accented with a metallic thread.  Then, there is a wide piece of black velvet with black venise lace hand beaded with antique seed beads and twisted bugle beads.  Last, the quilt has a black satin binding. 
     The main center of the quilt has 16 squares with a finished dimension of 13" x 13".  They are machine pieced and hand embellished.  The fabrics are a combination of new and vintage with velvet, silk, and cotton.  As soon as the weather get better, I will take it outside to try to get a photo of the entire quilt.
 "He who works with his hands is a laborer.  He who works with his head is a craftsman.  He who works with his heart is an artist."  St. Francis of Assisi 
 
Wisdom
     As I began crazy quilting more and cleaning less, I needed to draw upon the wisdom of great gals and to develop a few tricks of my own. 
     *From Twyla mother of my good friend, Sharon - Set the table for dinner first thing in the morning.  No matter the time or whatever you've been doing, your husband will walk in the door and think that he is going to be fed so he won't ask too many questions.
    *1 household chore = 1 hour of sewing  So, if you unload the dishwasher, you get to sew for an hour.  I also like to watch my favorite shows while I sew.  If I do a chore during the commercials, I get to sew during the good parts.
    *Always refer to shopping and reading as "research".
    *From Connie - Comb your hair because "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".  I am embarrassed to admit that during the summer if I start sewing in my pajamas in the morning, I might still have them on in the afternoon. 
 
Sneak Peek 
     Here is a peek at my piece for the Hand and Hearts for Sendai.  It is a work in progress.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment